Production Language English
Country of Origin United States
Description Grades 9-12. 3-hour workshop on Thursdays.
All students must complete an online application and interview in order to be considered for the program. No previous experience is required.
Developed especially for young film enthusiasts and aspiring cinephiles, Young Film Critics introduces students to iconic classic and modern films, providing them with the vocabulary and framework for effective criticism.
Last year’s course explored the line between reality and illusion in cinema, featuring films like Michel Gondry’s Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Roman Polanski’s Repulsion, and Carl Dreyer’s The Passion of Joan of Arc.
In this program, students:
• Watch curated films in class and discuss with classmates
• Attend exclusive screenings at BAM Rose Cinemas
• Master technical film vocabulary and develop a critical voice
• Write individual film reviews and responses guided by the instructor
• Meet and talk with professional critics and artists. Former guests have included David Denby of The New Yorker and writer/director Peter Sollett